Forum för föreningen etanol.nu
Aktuellt datum och tid: fre 24-03-29 00:17

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 6 inlägg ] 
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik: Volvo 240 B200K
InläggPostat: mån 07-05-07 09:13 

Hi,

I have just receive my new Volvo, a 1985 244 with B200K and only 17 000km!

I'm looking for powered this car with E85, have you any information to do this adaptation?

Please, answer in english ;)

Bild

Dela på FacebookDela på TwitterDela på TuentiDela på SonicoDela på FriendFeedDela på OrkutDela på DiggDela på MySpaceDela på DeliciousDela på TechnoratiDela på TumblrDela på Google+

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: mån 07-05-07 13:12 

hi, only 17.000 km?? so the car is just "new" :)

runnign the car on E85 could be problematic:

the fuel tank, the fuel "pipes" and all materials which come into contact with E85 have to be corrosion-resistant. otherwise you have to change any parts of the fuel system which can get into contact with ethanol.

a typical problem is the fuel filter. E85 is a very good solvent for water and other polar liquids, like acids, and for old dirt in the tank.
so it can cause corrosion by supporting a local element, if there are different metals in contact.

so you have to change the fuel filter after ~ 1000 km running the car with ethanol.

converting your car to E85 can be possible by increasing the fuel pressure, by changing the injectors or by installing a so called "flextek".

the best way to test E85 is to blend it with regular fuel, e.g. 5 parts reg, 1 part E85. so the dirt will wash out, and you can find out whats it all about driving with ethanol

if there are no probs, you can increase the blend in direction of E85.

driving pure E85 is NOT possible. the engine runs to lean. the result after some x 1000 km is a motor damage, the outlet valves get to hot.

plz take a look into this excel file, there are a lot of users with experience running ethanol

http://etanolbil.eu/bilar.xls

http://www.ethanol-tanken.com
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht[url]/349366.html[/url]

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: mån 07-05-07 14:05 
Forumadministratör
Användarvisningsbild

I do not think this car has fuel injection but a carburettor? Then there is no fuel pressure to increase.

The car will use ca 30% ore fuel (because its efficiency increases) but the engine needs 40% more fuel with the same amount of air.

You should make a thinner needle for your carburettor so that you get a ca 40% increase in fuel supply.

/Aryan

Ps have you got any proof of the corrosion problems that you warn for? We have never seen any corrosion problems when driving on E85 in Volvo's or other cars.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: mån 07-05-07 19:16 
Forummoderator

The B200K engine has a dual-port Solex "CISAC" carburettor, not a "constant depression" carburettor like older Volvo engines.
There is no needle to rework in this style of carburettor, as it works with fixed jets.

The conversion will merely consist of replacing the main jets of both carburettor ports with bigger ones. Theoretically, the jet area should be increased by about 30-35 % which means that the diameter shall be increased by 10-15 %.
If you then encounter idling problems due to too weak idle mixture even at the end of the adjustment range, then perhaps a bigger idle jet will be necessary, too.
Note that the air jets, emulsion jets, enrichment jets etc of the carburettor should NOT be changed at the first instance. Study the design and functioning of the carburettor (by reading workshop manuals, exploded views etc) very carefully before you commence with the conversion work.

As the car is more than twenty years old, there is surely a lot of resin (gum) deposits from old gasoline in the fuel system. When these deposits are subjected to E85, they may be partly dissolved in the fuel and can clog the fuel filter or the carburettor. Be prepared to change the fuel filter and maybe clean out the carburettor several times during the first months of running on E85.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: mån 07-05-07 21:38 
Forumadministratör
Användarvisningsbild

torbjorn skrev:
The B200K engine has a dual-port Solex "CISAC" carburettor, not a "constant depression" carburettor like older Volvo engines.
There is no needle to rework in this style of carburettor, as it works with fixed jets.

I stand corrected, thanx Torbjörn for pointing that out, I do not know all the ins and outs of Volvo carburettors :oops:

torbjorn skrev:
The conversion will merely consist of replacing the main jets of both carburettor ports with bigger ones. Theoretically, the jet area should be increased by about 30-35 % which means that the diameter shall be increased by 10-15 %.
If you then encounter idling problems due to too weak idle mixture even at the end of the adjustment range, then perhaps a bigger idle jet will be necessary, too.
Note that the air jets, emulsion jets, enrichment jets etc of the carburettor should NOT be changed at the first instance. Study the design and functioning of the carburettor (by reading workshop manuals, exploded views etc) very carefully before you commence with the conversion work.

As the car is more than twenty years old, there is surely a lot of resin (gum) deposits from old gasoline in the fuel system. When these deposits are subjected to E85, they may be partly dissolved in the fuel and can clog the fuel filter or the carburettor. Be prepared to change the fuel filter and maybe clean out the carburettor several times during the first months of running on E85.

A good practice is to add a simple cheap and disposable platic transparant fuelfilter that you find for some euro's on any gasstation between fuelpump and carburettor. It will filter out dirt before it enters the carburettor and safe a lot of work, and you can easily see if/when the filter is dirty and needs to be replaced.

/Aryan

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: mån 07-09-24 09:32 

You have exactly the same car as I have.

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 6 inlägg ] 

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme